Freedom Writers

I had my 7th grade religion class tonight and showed a small section of the movie, " Freedom Writers". This is such a powerful movie! It's a true story on an intergrated school in Long Beach CA. The school has lots of diffirent minorites that are all bused to the school and there alot of gangs ect. But this story shows the power of how one committed English teacher can make a diffirence in the lives of these kids. She does this by talking about other things than English. She isn't afraid to enter into their lives into their pain. She gives them journals and will only read them if they want her to. Well they all do! She see's how hurting they all are and does exercises to teach them to accept each other and they become very close and put their prejudices a side......it's so powerful. It is rated PG-13 not meant for young kids. My girls really liked the little I showed them. My point in showing it to them was to demonstate how our prejudices and hate are so damaging. Middle school is so clicky and the girls especially can be so mean. I personally would not want to go back there!!! I guess there are advantages to getting older:)

http://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Writers-Widescreen-Hilary-Swank/dp/B000NOK1KC

Comments

Popular Posts