MY DAD'S 10TH ANNIVERSARY


The tenth anniversary of my dad's death is tomorrow the 17th. I'm learning to scan so here are a few pictures. (sorry Brenda none of you:). The first one is 4 generations. My dad is being held by his father, Larry. The middle one is of my dad in front of our current house with his family and my mom is taking the picture. The last one
is at my dad's parent's. Kevin is being held Linda is by dad and I'm in front of my mom. I miss them both. My dad became my friend in the last 2 and 1/2 years of his life. When I lost my dad I felt like I had lost my mom all over again because I knew I was doing exactly what my mom wanted.............take care of "TOM". Below is the Eulogy I gave at his funeral.
EULOGY
SEPTEMBER 21, 1998
THOMAS CARL BURNS

Life is filled with joys and sorrows. Our family had a lot of sorrow due to my father’s mental illness. It robbed our family of so much, but God did not forsake us or him. He had a wonderful wife who stood by him. Our mother, Jean,wasn't one to preach the gospel, she did the harder thing, she lived it daily. She would often say, “I married for better or worse.” Through faith she knew God had created my father and respected the soul within him. Many times we would be frustrated or upset with my dad but she would always say, “But he’s a person.” She could separate the illness from the man and taught us to do the same. When my mom was diagnosed with cancer, her first concern was my father. She asked, “What will happen to Tom?” Both of my sisters met their future husbands the year after my mother died. I often wondered why mom had forgotten me. I even felt a little betrayed. But now I know our Lord, the Blessed Mother and my mother were in cahoots together! They had a special plan in store for me.

In the spring of 1996, my father was near death’s door. They didn't expect him to live. Jennifer, my niece, and I met the priest who gave him the Sacrament of the Sick. He had known my dad for 15 years. I’ll never forget what he said to me, “Your dad was my friend. He always treated me well.” I also met his Doctor who felt little should be done for him because my father had no quality of life. I was very offended by his attitude. I told him he had no right to make that judgment and that it was very dangerous when we humans start judging and playing God my measuring one’s quality of life.

My dad was courageous and a fighter. He fought to stay alive. He went from being in a semi-comma one visit to sitting in a chair a week later. He asked me if he could come home. I responded, “Yes, when you can walk.” (Never thinking he would again.) When I returned 4 days later I got off the elevator to find my dad holding on to the railing walking down the hall!

My dad was more emotionally in touch and more of a father to us these past two-and-half years. He would often have tears in his eyes when we visited or in the car on his way home for the weekend. When I would ask him why, he would simply say, “I’m happy.

He went to see Kevin’s new house and he liked it so much he didn’t want to go home to “our old house.” (But Rhonda didn’t have a bed for him!) He told Kevin that he had done well for himself! He enjoyed going to Linda and Chuck’s house and always talked about the one beer I allowed Chuck to give him.

He would remember the details of our lives and often brag to the staff at the hospital, especially when two grandsons were named after him: Aaron Thomas and Matthew Thomas.

He would ask me often why I wasn't married and said it wasn't good for me to be alone. I would respond, “God loves you dad and right now he wants me to be here for you.” My dad would smile. But I would remind him that once he got to heaven, it was his job to pray for a husband for me. I will always treasure the memories’ of going to mass with him at the VA Hospital two times last Spring and receiving the Eucharist with him—all his idea!

Dad became buddies with Bridgett my dog. I soon found out why—my dad would get up in the night for a snack when he couldn't sleep and Bridgett would follow for “her snack.” One night he bragged that he had given her 3 bananas and a package of fig newtons. He was also upset with me when I got Bridgett fixed saying. “She can’t be a Catholic dog is she is fixed.”

My dad was very generous always wanting me to bring goodies for the staff and other patients. My dad was dearly loved by the staff. He had a wonderful Irish sense of humor. Every time we would visit at least one or two aides would say, “You know, your dad is my favorite.”

These past months he was often in pain. During his last visit home in August he said to me, “This is no kind of life.” That’s the one and only time I ever heard him complain about his life. After all, he use to tell me he was never going to die because he was bionic.

This is his time of glory. He will be reunited with my mother in heaven. What a glorious reunion that will be. My mom will see the soul she believed in and always respected.

I want to thank all those who were good to my dad: especially the Nova Palmer Family; the Duane and Nancy Rudy family; the Bradley’s; my grandma Burns for fighting for him; my grandpa for helping us out financially when we had nothing; my Uncle Dick for always speaking well of him and telling us stories of his youth; my Aunt Rosie, Uncle Dave, Matt and Jamie for treating him with kindness and respect; my mom’s brothers and sisters and their families; my coworkers and their support during these past two years. I especially want to thank my siblings and their families who were always there for me and dad when I brought him home. I want to thank Brenda for coming over early in the morning when I couldn't get dad out of the bath tub. I want to thank my nieces and nephews, who loved Pa Pa, and were always anticipating his needs and offering him help. I’ll never forget the time when everyone was over for dinner and my dad said, “It’s nice to be wanted.”

All those who were kind to my dad—you will not be forgotten, for when we are kind to the mentally ill, or the less fortunate we are being kind to Christ Himself. Thank you! My mom thanks you!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks Lisa for being there for Dad! It brought tears to my eyes reading it. May his soul rest in peace.

Linda
Maureen said…
Oh Brenda this is so beautiful.

I had to get up in the middle and go get a Kleenex. Then I came back and read, “She can’t be a Catholic dog is she is fixed.” I LOL -- that is the funniest thing I read all year!

God bless your mom. What a beautiful example she is to us wives. And God bless you and all those who loved your dad.
Maureen said…
Lisa, Lisa, Lisa, I'm so sorry I called you Brenda. Hey, at least it was a family members name. Oh gosh, I'm so embarrassed now. Middle aged women, gee whiz.
Anonymous said…
Ok Maureen, you didn't have to apologize with such zeal(I hope that I spelled apologize right, I can relate to the middle aged brain. I used to pride myself on my fine spelling abilities and now I can't spell a dam thing (is that how you spell dam?)Anyway, one "Lisa" would have been sufficient (yikes another big word, I do miss spell check). All kidding aside, I couldn't even come close to taking credit for the patient and kind way that Lisa treated Dad. I thank you Lisa for all of the TLC's that you gave to him and for this nice tribute. As you know, I didn't have alot of patience with him then God made sure that I would improve on the patience thing and blessed me with five children to beat me dow, I mean to teach me patience. I had to grab a kleenex too and do miss Dad's sweet personality that he had in the last years of his life. Brenda
Lisa said…
Thanks Maureen! That was so nice of you........I do miss him I like to say he was my "hands on Jesus".....loving someone that isn't always so easy to love but I did! Brenda you were good to dad! You always helped me out when I asked and went to visit him! Don't be so hard on yourself....I think we were all good to him especially in the end........He loved us All very much:) Muareen Brenda is 6 years younger so I'll take that!
Anonymous said…
Thanks sister dear, there's always room for improvement.Yeah six years younger, I am still plucking the grays (3 today). Soon I will have to start coloring it or I will be bald!! It's hell to get old.
Anonymous said…
Lisa, geez....I didn't expect to cry at 7:30am. Now i have to go in public with red eye. That was an awesome tribute. I think you forgot how your father finished his work and told God to give you a husband :) How long after he died did you meet Charlie?

Your mom is an awesome example and I don't have one bad memory of her. She was always joyful. She called me "Jamie Pamie". And your dad.....I am so happy he is able to live life now. But through his suffering God was glorified in your mom, you and the rest of your family. Would it be ok if I put this on my blog? I have family members on my side that didn't really know much about (or your mom). What a story.
Lisa said…
Yes go ahead.........dad died in Spet of 98 and I met Charlie in October of 2000.........so two years.......I guess that's not bad:) Yes my mom was such an incrediable person.......I so miss her! Only as I got older did I realize just what she did! When I was single and struggling I wore my mom's wedding ring and I thought if she can be faithful in a difficult marriage I can be faithful in being single.......she lives every day in us her children and I can't waith to see her in heaven:)
Jane said…
This is such a beautiful eulogy, Lisa. Your mom's faithfulness has been lived out in each of her children - what a legacy they both left for the world! And 14 grandchildren to carry it on.

Love you!
Jane

Popular Posts