SUNDAY'S

I have such fond memories of Sundays. It was always a special day in our home. My mom held fast to the commandment to keep the Lord's Day Holy. We never did housework on Sunday. She of course prepared a meal but no unnecesary work that could be done another day of the week. When we were young we'd go to church (of the evening before) We NEVER missed church and I mean NEVER. We would then usually go to my grandma and grandpa Fox's s just west of here in little Pewamo. My grandparents never had much financially but they were such honest faith filled people. They lived a simple holy life. When I was real young my grandpa use to call me "Le Le". It will be so nice to see them in heaven! Then in the evening we would always so over to grandpa and grandma Burns'. Grandma would usually have her delicious chocolate cake with chocolate and walnut frosting and ice cream..........ummm! My grandma Burns was the best cook I ever knew..........everything tasted better at her house. To this day her chocolate chip cookies were the best! In later years we would always play cards because my grandpa loved to play cards!

This morning mass was such a blessing! (Charlie still to sick to go.) I got there 40 minutes early because I forgot that the Fowler mass starts at 10:30. I walk in to Church and hear singing. Well it turns out my brother in-law, Chuck and my nieces, Anna and Catherine and a few other teens were doing the singing. Since I was
early I decided to check out a few videos. I got "The Heroic Journey" the Life of Fr. Solanus Casey. Fr. Casey lived in Detroit. He just answered the door of the rectory for many years and because of his simple obedience and surrender to God our Lord used him in a mighty way! People would come all the time to request his prayers and many many people were healed. I read a biography on him and it was very inspiring. I would love to go to visit the church in Detroit were he lived some day. The second one I'm not familiar with it's about a priest named, "Brother Andre'. I'll let you know about that one.

OK back to the mass. My 15 year old niece, Catherine sang a solo before communion. It was,
"Come to the Water"..............it was so beautiful! She did such a wonderful job. Catherine I though how proud your grandma Burns would have been. She loved music and loved to sing. In her early years she was in the Choir at St.Joes in St.Johns. Catherine your grandma is smiling down from Heaven on you and she IS proud of you! I know your grandpa Burns is pleased as well. The sermon was also very good. The reading was the Samaritan women at the well. Jesus drew her out and spoke truth to her. She finally repented and took a good look at herself............lent is a time for doing this. WE can't fool God! Just a reminder at the end of our lives our Lord will reveal everything about us and everyone will see us for who we truly are! All will be brought out into the LIGHT..........the good the bad and the ugly. Most of us walk around and deceive ourselves but the curtain will be pulled back on our souls for the final judgement. So for those who have done so many injustices in this life and seem to get away with it............THEY will receive their just reward. NOW is the time to repent! Now is the time to
surrender to our Lord...............God offers us a gift..........His beloved Son. It's a gift to know you are a sinner in need of His Salvation. Thank you Jesus! I'm so thankful to be Catholic and to know you in a personal way.

As I write this I'm watching the 1945 movie, "The Bells of St.Mary" with Bing Crosby as the priest and Ingrid Bergman as the head nun at a Catholic School. It's very good! Oh the good old days when you could watch a movie and not worry about the language, or sex scenes.

Well good Sunday to you and try the keep the Lord's day Holy as our Lord commanded.

Comments

Popular Posts