SUNDAY REFLECTIONS


Yesterday I attended a funeral for the a friend from High School who’s mom passed away. I went with another friend,Dorella who was also a friend from High School. Dorella is now a teacher at St.Joesph’s and has my nephew Joey in her class. My mom babysat for her three sons up until the time she got sick. Dorella has so many wonderful memories of my mom and it was so neat listening to her. She said my mom was the strongest women she knew. She has more adult memories of my mom than I do because she spent so much time with her and I didn’t live in the area. She said she potty trained all her boys and did it so easily. Oh how I wish she was still here with us and could have passed
down her wisdom to my sisters. But life rarely goes as we hope or imagined. This fits into the first readying of the day:
Reading 1: Jb 7:1-4, 6-7

Job spoke, saying:Is not man's life on earth a drudgery?Are not his days those of hirelings?He is a slave who longs for the shade,a hireling who waits for his wages.So I have been assigned months of misery,and troubled nights have been allotted to me.If in bed I say, "When shall I arise?"then the night drags on;I am filled with restlessness until the dawn.My days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle;they come to an end without hope.Remember that my life is like the wind;I shall not see happiness again.

I think most of us have experienced this kind of hopelessness…………at least I have. Life has seasons and I think we are in for some hard times. I think we as Christians will have an
opportunity to be persecuted for our faith. But it’s in difficulty that we truly see what we
are made of. Life is messy it always has been and it always will be because of original sin. This
is not our home we are only pilgrims and I think we will have an opportunity to realize this.

The second reading is one of my favorites:
Reading II1 Cor 9:16-19, 22-23

"Brothers and sisters:If I preach the gospel, this is no reason for me to boast,for an obligation has been imposed on me,and woe to me if I do not preach it!If I do so willingly, I have a recompense,but if unwillingly, then I have been entrusted with a stewardship.What then is my recompense?That, when I preach,I offer the gospel free of charge so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel.
Although I am free in regard to all,I have made myself a slave to all so as to win over as many as possible.To the weak I became weak, to win over the weak.I have become all things to all, to save at least some.All this I do for the sake of the gospel,so that I too may have a share in it."

St. Paul made himself all things to all people………I love this. To me this means he cared for all and accepted them where they were at. He entered their world so that he could help them to understand the message of Jesus in terms they could understand. Jesus wants to enter all of our worlds and he accepts us for who we are and where we are. He will take us by the hand and lead us to God the Father.

Comments

Popular Posts