ACT OF KINDNESS: LISTENING


Listening is such an act of kindness. You have heard this before but I'll say it again. The Lord gave us ONE mouth but Two ears. I had a reminder of this yesterday at work. I take the Crisis calls at work and tried to help a frantic elderly lady. I was asking her questions so that I could understand the situation and she got so mad at me and said "you are not listening to me!" and continued to say some not so nice things. Instead of getting defensive I shut my mouth and let her poor out her story and frustrations with the "system" in trying to find some hellp.

I ended up doing a prescreen for her and her husband for our Project Choices program and was afraid to tell her that there is a long waiting list(5-6 months) but she did not get upset with me like I had expected. At the end of the conversation she said "thanks for listening". She said she had a headache and I told her to go lay down and she said "I think I will."

Just a reminder that it's an act of kindness to really listen to people!

Comments

Popular Posts