PEWAMO CELEBRATED 150 YEARS!

Click on Image to Enlarge


Yesterday I was suppose to take my Aunt Toots (alias for Marlene) to lunch in Pewamo but she was sick. Well I still wanted to go so I grabbed my nieces Katie and Kelly. I'm so glad I went! It was so hometown little America! This is the hometown my mom was born and raised in. As little kids we went every weekend to see our grandparent's Anna and Ernie Fox. They lived right on the corner of M21 and Main street. I have such fond memories such as playing statue or red rover red rover, Simon says or stones.
I met several people who knew my mom which was neat. Rosemary the lady in the bottom left corner to the left actually knew the Burns side of the family as well because she was from Carson City originally. I met one guy my age who knew me but I could not remember him or he's changed so much I didn't recognize him!

They had a room set up with all kinds of antiques contributed by the residents. They had my mom's class picture. She graduated in 1953. I have her class sweater with moth wholes and all. My sister Linda lost my mom's class ring years ago. I still remember that day. She was running with it to the neighbor's and dropped it along with a cheap ring. We had a baby sitter that day and we spent hours looking for it but never found it. I do think someone found the cheap ring. Do you remember that day Linda? I think the babysitter was Toni Heathman. We also ran into My Uncle Paul in that room and above that is the older gentleman they are standing with. Bertene is originally from Pewamo which I didn't know. She now lives in St.Johns and she was so good to my mom when she was sick. Twice she gave my mom the bingo money she won and wanted us to take her out to lunch. I love people like that!

They also had a room set up with military uniforms and pictures. My Aunt Martha submitted a picture of my Grandpa and all four of my Uncles, Paul, Don, Clare and Jerry served in the military. While standing there looking at the picture I ran into Bruce the brother of a friend of mine (he's above holding his baby daughter). There was a little boy by him so I asked him if it was his son. He went on to say no he was a Fox. So I asked him who his dad was and it turns out he's my cousin Roger's son. So I informed him we were related and Katie and Kelly were his second cousins. He then ran and got one of his sisters. So I proceeded to tell them some stories. They didn't even know their grandpa had a twin sister. My mom was his twin. They were called Jean and Jerry. That was going to be their Baptismal names but back they you had to be named after a saint. At the last minute their names were changed to Jerome and Jeannette. My mom always hated that name. Only her classmates called her that. She was always known as Jean. We even put Jean and her head stone.

It was a very nice event and I'm so glad we went! I love walking down Memory Lane!


Comments

Popular Posts