Well we have a nice time at Greenfield Village and the Ford Museum. The first day was spent at the Museum. I love old things for some reason my soul is drawn to them and they offer me comfort. I love the ideas if they could talk all the stories they could tell us about the lives of the people that they had encountered. We saw the car President Kennedy was killed in. I was surprised that other presidents continued to use this car. We saw the chair that Lincoln was assassinated in, blood stains and all. And of course the Drive Inn. I remember going to the drive inn movie as kids. Mom would put us in our pajamas and we would be playing on the swings in our Pj's. She would pop a grocery bag of popcorn and we'd bring our own pop.
There was an old diner and the prices were awesome! But then the pay back then wasn't too awesome. It had a cigarette machine in it. I don't even remember seeing those around! There was one of Ricky Nelson's car............he was should I say dreamy! I took a picture of the hearse
drawn by horsed just for you Brenda dear. I love the look of the kitchen
from the 50's. I absolutely hate the modern look. I was so appalled with the Dymaxion house.
It was round and cold and like a space ship. To think people were actually going to buy this. Thank God they didn't have enough money to reproduce them.
I think what I liked most at Greenfield Village was the Firestone house. Their were real people in the house acting like that time period. They were actually sitting down eating their dinner that they had made that day. I felt like I was intruding on a family affair. Everything they ate had been canned or grown on the farm. As I've said I love old things and have several antiques in my home. They also have the home that Mr.Ford was born and raised in which was neat.
I think what really hit me is how easy we have it. One hundred years ago they had to work just to survive not to mention all the earlier generations. Our standard of living is far beyond what they had or even hoped or imagined! Their life was hard but ours is hard in a different way. We are less family oriented and we have allot of stuff to try and fill ourselves up with. But St. Augustine said "Our hearts are restless until they rest in You oh Lord".
It also made so appreciated of my modest home. I love that I'm the third generation to live in it. That my grandparents, parents Aunt and Uncles lived in this very home. You know my grandfather made his living selling Ford cars so I though of him allot while we were there. He and my grandma had taken us to Greenfield village when we were really young. My only memory is of them picking us up. Sorry Brenda you didn't go you must of been to young.
It definitely is worth going to see. I am so thankful that Mr.Ford took the time to preserve our history. He is a man after my own heart. Oh one more think is they have the Court house were Abraham Lincoln actually tried cases.




Comments

Brenda said…
Are you sure that I didn't go? I have a vague memory of something related to them and Greenfield village. Maybe they took us more than once?
Lisa said…
I could be wrong because my memory is also very vague!

Popular Posts