CHRISTMAS LETTER 2009

Christmas 2009

Dear Family and Friends,

As always, I pray that this letter finds you doing well, and if not, then finding strength in knowing that our Lord loves you and has a plan for your life. Now I know at times it may not “FEEL” that way. I’m so thankful that our Lord is the same yesterday today and tomorrow. I am grateful that His existence has nothing to do with our perceptions or feelings. We all have seasons in our life, and for Charlie and I, this has been a hard one. His mom, Doris, has had a lot of health issues, which has meant hospital visits and short-term rehab placements. She is now home enjoying her two cats. Charlie is one of the unemployed due to this current economy. So please keep us in your prayers.

As I shared last year, I celebrated turning 50 by going to Rome with 3 friends. Fr. Ken went to school in Rome and he knew the ins and out of Rome! I don’t think I’ve ever walked so much in my life or has my body ever hurt so much! I truly felt like a pilgrim! I was very touched by going below St. Peter’s Basilica to see where St. Peter’s bones are buried and going to the Catacombs of St. Sebastian, where Fr. Ken said Mass for us in the chapel of St. Philip Neri. Just being in the Catacombs, I knew that I was on such holy ground and was humbled by the brave Christians that had gone before me and died for our Lord. We also spent two wonderful nights in Assisi, and that was amazing as well. But I really missed Charlie! I told him I’d rather go up north with him than to Rome without him. We did get Up North and made if to Mackinac Island. I just love the feel of that island. We also went to Greenfield Village and the Ford Museum, which I really enjoyed. I love history!
We still have just the three pets. You know the two cats, Danny and Zack, that don’t get along, and we have two break up fights on a regular basis. Hey, it’s real fun when we’re trying to sleep and get woken up my screaming cats… or should I say… cat? Danny starts screaming any time Zack just gets near him. Then there is Abby, my girl! I continue to get so many compliments on her. One day a man yelled out, “Nice looking.” I yelled back: “Me or the dog?” He laughed and said both! Hey, at 51 I’ll take compliments any way I can make them happen.

Ok, now a quick update on my family. I am so thankful that we all live in the same town. Linda and Chuck continue to homeschool. Catherine will turn 17 in January. She is very involved in the pro-life movement and I’m very proud of her. She has been taking driver’s education, but still needs to take the test before she can get her license. She won a rosette on the scarf she made for 4-H and a rosette for the band she, Jimmy and Anna are in. Jimmy turned 15 this year and is growing tall! He likes to play the piano and learn about his faith. He joined his sister Catherine and is taking a Latin class. Jimmy likes to draw comics and film little skits. Just at Thanksgiving he was using the cousins and a sister to produce a skit for his Latin class. Anna is 13 and was the big winner at the 4-H fair this year. She received a trophy for her chicken-pot-pie, first place in the Junior Prospect Beef Showmanship, and got third place in the Junior Sweepstakes Showmanship. She is still her mom’s best helper! Matthew is 11 and still the instigator of fighting in the house. Peace comes when he is on the computer. But Matt is always the first to be helpful when work is to be done outside. He loves cutting wood with his dad. Markus is 9 and made his First Communion last May. He is a very inquisitive guy. He is always asking questions. He likes to read about ancient times. He also likes to play on the computer, but doesn’t get too much time on, because Matt takes over when he plays. Maria is the baby of the family and is still in charge! Her mom says she’s more like 6 going on 16. She told someone that she couldn’t wait to get her driver’s license! But, luckily, she still likes to play dress up with her cousin Kelly. For Christmas this year she is getting her four front teeth!

Kevin and Rhonda just had their 22nd wedding anniversary! Jennifer is a Senior at MSU and is going into teaching. She has already been doing some substitute teaching, including at the middle school were Aaron goes to school. His friends thought it was quite cool that Aaron’s sister was filling in. I’m not sure what Aaron thought. Rachel graduated and is going to Lansing Community College (LCC) for her basics. She also got her first job working at the LCC office in St. Johns. I like having her so close, because, when Charlie and I go away, she takes care of the animals! But don’t ask her about my cat Danny! She slept on the couch because he joined her in bed and gave her the evil eye. Aaron just turned 13! He’s still all about sports! He was the quarterback and tight end on the 7th grade football team and is now on the basketball team. He doesn’t talk much so none of us really quite know what he’s thinking. I did find out he loves apple pies, so I made him his own apple pie this year. He did call to thank me.

Brenda and Chris still have the annual 4th of July party. Katie is 15 and a freshman in high school. She will be making her Confirmation in March. We are almost done with the Journey group I’m leading for her and 6 other girls. I really enjoy Katie! She has not bought into the seduction of the world and is serious about her faith. She is full of questions and just such a nice girl! I am also her Confirmation sponsor, and I’m very proud to be her aunt. Dominic will be 13 this month. Maybe that’s why he loves Christmas so much! Brenda said he’s the one who always nags to get the tree and decorations up and to make the Christmas cookies. He, like Aaron, graduated from St. Joe’s and is now in middle school. He still loves working with legos and creating all kinds of inventions. Joey is 10 and in 4th grade. He excels in math and I think he’s the class clown. Some of the mom’s have told Brenda that their little girls are always coming home with “Joey D” stories. One of his little friends wants to be a priest… I’ve encouraged my godson to hang around him! Kelly is seven and sweet! This is what her mom said about her on Facebook (this happened on the Eve of St. Nicholas): “My sweet little 7 year old is so excited that St. Nick is coming tonight that she spent the evening cleaning the house (wouldn’t want him to see a messy house). We were watching a show and didn’t notice that she had left the room. When I went downstairs, it was immaculate.  When I went to tuck the boys in bed, their room was spotless too (it’s usually a disaster). When I asked Joey what happened, he said that Kelly had been running around his room for the last hour and cleaning. She even straightened out my closet. She is too funny!” Need I say more? She wanted to come visit me, and she told her mom: “Maybe I can clean for Aunt Lisa.” Brenda’s Baby John is 5. He is still just as charming as ever! He has made some elderly friends at Taco Bell (mom’s hang out). They told Brenda he’s going to be President someday. I’m not sure if that’s a good or bad thing.
My dear friend Annette who was healed of cancer two years ago has been diagnosed with end stage cancer. I was able to attend her benefit dinner along with over 600 people. This week I had the privilege of spending a whole day with her. She is an amazing wife, mother, friend and Christian women. She is not worried about her diagnosis. Instead, she keeps her heart open so that she can minister to the people the Lord brings her way. Annette has never been afraid to walk with people in their pain. So often when we are hurting, people want to “fix us” and are uncomfortable because they feel like they need to “DO” or say something. Do you realize how powerful it is for a friend to just BE with you in your pain? I do! Thank you, Annette, for your witness to Christ! Thank you for being such a living example of what it means to literally lay your life down for Christ!

May we all grow in the deep knowledge of the personal love our Lord Jesus Christ has for each one of us. May we all be open to what the Lord wants to do in our hearts. God is faithful. Life has its ups and downs, but God is always faithful.

Merry Christmas!
Love,

Charlie and Lisa

Comments

Popular Posts