ANNETTE'S FUNERAL

Family and friends buried a wife, mother, sister, sister-in-law, aunt and friend on Tuesday August 3rd.
The funeral mass was such a tribute to Annette! No surprise it was very well attended and so were the vigils.  Her family is so blessed with musical talent!  Her nieces Catherine and Elizabeth did several
solo songs. 

Annette had picked out the songs for her funeral and asked her nieces to sing.  Catherine sang, "Press On", "Ava Maria" and "I Can Only Imagine" by Mercy Me.  Rebekah, Annette and Paul's youngest also sang with Catherine for "I Can Only Imagine".  I don't think there was a dry eye in the place.  Elizabeth played the piano and sang one of Annette's favorite songs, "Abba Father".  Also doing the music was the church's music group that Annette lead and loved so much.  These people are very special people and they loved her dearly.  I got to know a few of them because of the two times I was blessed to accompany Annette when she sang with them.   I know it was not easy for them to perform with out her.

Annette's Spiritual Director Fr. Mark gave the sermon.  It was so beautiful.  He called her a Saint but of course all of us who knew Annette already knew that!  He said he would share the things she shared with him in his homilies and People would think he had wisdom, but he actually stole his material from
Annette.  We all laughed at that.  You could tell how much he loved and respected Annette and got choked up several times.

Her son Paul shared at the end of mass.  He said he never met a person who didn't like his mom.  He talked about how she always hugged his friends.  Yes this is an Annette and Joyce gift!  They always give hugs forget shaking their hands! If you extend your hand they will pull you into a hug. Most importantly he challenged us to let her legacy live on by loving others as she did.

Their church St.Jude's put on a beautiful luncheon for her family and friends.  It seems like such a gracious community of people and they so loved Annette.  They faithfully provided meals for her family and one lady cleaned their house weekly and did their laundry.  God bless these faithful unsung hero's who helped our friend and her family in their time of need.

Rebekah gave a sharing at the funeral dinner and I posted that in my last blog.  Annette's children have all been blessed with the gift of their mother's faith.  She will live on through them. 

My dear friend will rest in Pewamo, her home town near her graves of her parents who all so died very young. My  own grandparents and an Aunt and two Uncles are also there.  Though I grew up spending all of my Sundays at my grandparents I didn't meet my dear friend until I went to Steubenville Ohio in January of 1983. 

I had gone to Madonna House a lay Catholic Apostolate in Canada for a month in October 1984. The Reminder a local newspaper had done a feature article on my visit.  At the end of the article it mentions that Linda and I are going to the University of Steubenville (it's name has since chance to The Franciscan Universality of Steubenville) that following January. 

Linda and I are getting off the elevator of St. Thomas More Dorm and Annette greats us saying; "I've been waiting for you all weekend," I'm Annette and I'm from Pewamo"!  Linda and I scream, "Pewamo"!  We had an instant bond with Annette.  We will miss our dear friend but we know we have
another friend in heaven.

Comments

Popular Posts