ANNETTE'S GATHERING

Well on Saturday friends and family of Annette's gathered to celebrate her life.  Her birthday and Fr. Dennis Gang from Franciscan University of Steubenville shared the same birthday of March 2nd.  Annette would have turned 51.  It was only a year ago that many of us from all around gathered to celebrate her 50th Birthday.

Joyce, Annette's sister and  Annette's daughter, Rebeca  had each written a song for Annette and sang them for us.  Joyce shared how people are sharing with her how they believe Annette's prayers are making a difference in their lives.

Two different individuals have had miracle thanks to Annette's intercession.  Her brother, Paul on two different occasions at during the consecrations of the host heard what he said sounded like a auditorium of saints and angels singing!  He knew Annette was among them.  I shared my story of how I had asked her to pray for a specific intention before her death and all the changes that I have since her death . Also the fact that I  had experienced her presence while at mass as well.

Her oldest daughter, Mary Grace gave a beautiful sharing on how her mother has shaped her and formed her in the faith.  This young women of only twenty-two knows  so much about suffering and the power of the cross! 
Annette is not dead!  She is more alive than any of us because she  is in the presence of the Lord.  She once told me that the Holy Spirit told her she was a lot like Him...always moving and on the go! I know our dear friend is now busy in heaven praying for her family and friends and working behind the scenes.  I love and miss you Annette:

Our friend Karen who spent a lot of time with Annette could not make it to the celebration this past weekend but she wrote the following letter which was read by Annette's sister in law.  We all laughed and enjoyed it.I hope you do as well:

I first met Annette back in 1983. She called me because someone told her I was looking for a place to live off campus in Steubenville, and she needed a roommate. She asked if we could get together to learn a little more about each other and see if it would work out or not. We agreed to meet at a bench on campus, and I remember taking a male friend with me “for protection” – just in case this person turned out to be some type of dangerous religious fanatic or someone I didn’t want to be alone with.  Annette of course came alone, because thoughts like that would NEVER cross her mind & heart.  We introduced ourselves and asked each other some questions about our lifestyles, habits, etc. Somehow we ended up talking about sin, and I remember Annette saying to us: “You know, you don’t have to sin in order to understand the harmful effects of it on your life.” I thought to myself “Wow! This girl is REALLY squeaky clean!” Even though I felt at the time she must just be really naïve about life, I think my spirit recognized the purity in her heart, and I liked her immediately. :)

There are so many things I could share with you all today. It’s hard for me to condense all of my thoughts into something less than a novel!! I decided I’d share a few stories that some of you may not have heard before….

Annette had befriended an elderly man down the street named Mr. P. He was probably in his 70’s at the time. One year, she and I could not afford to go home for Christmas, and were invited over to the Kissinger’s house for dinner. She invited Mr. P. to join us, since he was alone for the holidays as well. Mr. P. brought a little gift for Annette, and she was just dying to open it while we were all together. I noticed that he seemed a little “hesitant” – but Annette was tearing into the wrapping before he had a chance to say anything otherwise.  She opened up a little gift box, which contained another unmistakable ring box inside… She opened up the ring box and there sat a big old diamond engagement ring – just glaring at all of us. Mr. P. must have turned 5 shades of red, and I instantly realized why he had been looking so sheepish earlier!! But not Annette!! Without skipping a beat she responded to his gift with such love and graciousness. She told him what a beautiful and extravagant gift it was, and thanked him for his thoughtfulness. The rest of us (I’m certain) were dying inside – thinking, Oh My! This old man has just given Annette an engagement ring!! How awkward!!”

As we left the house, I started right in on her, saying “Annette, what the heck are you going to do? He just gave you an engagement ring!! You need to deal with this situation immediately so he doesn’t have the wrong impression!” I was totally freaking out about it, but Annette didn’t see it that way at all… She felt he just wanted to show her that he really liked and appreciated her, but didn’t know how to express it appropriately.

She did go and talk to Mr. P. the next day, just to clarify the situation, and she returned the ring. But, they remained close, and that incident didn’t alter the way she treated him or felt about him one bit. That was the thing with Annette – she loved everyone with God’s unchanging love. She always knew how to respond to things with a special grace and dignity.

Like I mentioned earlier, I always felt that Annette was rather naïve. I thought she grew up in the Brady Bunch and just didn’t have a clue about what REAL life was like. The only “vice” I ever witnessed in her life was during times of great academic or work stress, she would invite me out on the front porch where we would crouch down behind the solid railing to sneak a cigarette together, in hopes that nobody we knew would walk by and see us! I must say it was kind of disconcerting to see Annette smoking a cigarette…but it still makes me smile every time I remember those moments. :)

The reality is that Annette had a much bigger dose of “real” life than most of us could ever bear. She lost both her parents at a young age and would later experience so much heartbreak, disappointment, oppression, fear and suffering. I regret that I was not there to support her until the end of her life, but I will be forever grateful for the last year we had together.

Annette was a woman of basics. She was practical, thrifty, and had the simple belief that God is love. She knew at the core of her being, that God loved her and valued her, and I believe everything she did flowed out of that basic knowledge. She loved each of us, and our lives are better because of it. To her children, I want to say this: I hope you know that she tried to give you everything you would need to draw upon after she was gone. You were her primary concern to the very end. She wanted to make sure that each of you was safe, cared for, and that you would see her again in heaven. She wanted you to know, like she did, that you are loved, and that you deserve to be treated with respect. YOU MATTER and your opinion matters. You are each valued and priceless just the way you. And remember…you don’t have to sin in order to understand the harmful effects of it on your life! So keep it clean kids, and make your momma proud. :)

Annette taught me many things. I’ve learned to value my husband and children more because I watched her sacrifice her entire being for the good of her family. Christ’s suffering and death has deeper meaning to me because I watched Annette suffer and die. The verses in the Bible about forgiveness bear more truth because I saw her forgive the unforgiveable. I understand what “unspeakable joy” is because I witnessed it first hand in her eyes and on her face.

I heard a song on the radio the other day, and wanted to share it with you in closing. I think that if Annette were here with us right now, this is what she would say:

If we were face to face I'd tell you just what you mean to me;
Tell you these simple truths - Be strong in the Lord, and never give up hope.
You're gonna do great things! I already know! God's got His hand on You.
So don't live life in fear; Forgive and forget; But don't forget why you're here. Take your time and pray. These are the words I would say.

Last time we spoke you said you were hurting and I felt your pain in my heart. I want to tell you that I keep on praying - That love will find you where you are. I know cause I've already been there - So please hear these simple truths. From one simple life to another - I will say...come find peace in the Father.

Be strong in the Lord and never give up hope
You're gonna do great things I already know - God's got His hand on You
So don't live life in fear - Forgive and forget.
But don't forget why you're here. Take your time and pray
And thank God for each day. His love will find a way.
These are the words I would say…

Happy Birthday Annette!!!

Comments

Popular Posts