ST. JOSEPH'S SCHOOL CARNIVAL

Well last night I took Maria to meet up with the Deliso's at the St. Joseph's school carnival.  Wow what memories go with that event.  As kids it was one of our high lights each year. (Along with getting to watch the Wizard of Oz and Cinderella once a year on TV.) Of course back then the prizes were much bigger.

When my sister Brenda was born on November 3rd 1964 of course my mom could not take us.  I was staying with my Grandma and Grandpa Burns and she took me to the carnival.  She won me a nice size stuffed dog which I named Penny.  When we ran into my Aunt Rosie who would have only been around 14 at the time I was afraid grandma was going to give it to her.  To my relief she did not!

Way back then they actually had a booth that had all these little dolls like the size of a Barbie doll that were clothed by outfits made by the women in the parish.  I think you put  a ticket on a number and they spun  the wheel and if it landed on your number you could pick any doll.

Linda and Kevin were staying with friends of my mom's and they could not go to the carnival that year.  I think Barb bribed Linda with one of the dolls because Bard was making clothes for the dolls.  I don't know what she gave Kevin but I know it was not a doll.  On more than one occasion my mom would win a cake at the cake walk and freeze it for my Birthday which is November 13th!  I never minded!

I'm so glad that the tradition lives on.  Brenda's children and Kevin's before her so look forward to the event every year.  Though Linda home schools her kids they to look forward to going.........the younger ones of course!  John had won two bottles of pop but made a sweet deal by trading one with another boy for more tickets.  Maria had won two bottles of pop and Kelly won a bottle.  They proudly carried them around all night.

I played the country store and was so embarrassed that within a short time I had won 6 bags of groceries.  So I stopped to give other's a chance and had I held on to my number I would have won a 7th time!  You will be glad to know that I gave half of what I won to the food pantry box that our church has.

I will end with the thought that simple joys in life are indeed HOLY!


Comments

Popular Posts